Thursday, June 28, 2007

Strengths Development

I've been at The Gallup Organization's conference on Becoming a Strengths-Based Campus this week. What a great time to meet up with old friends, but also an amazing time to meet the surprisingly large number of people who are "new" to the strengths movement! As we talked together over these past few days, it has caused me to think even more about what it takes to really develop one's talents into strengths. I'm more and more convinced that simply identifying talents isn't enough--it may give a temporary boost to one's self-confidence or may help increase self-awareness, but without an effort to multiply the talents with skills and knowledge--and without the accountable relationships in which to do so--we've done little more than given people a pat on the back. Not that we all couldn't use a pat on the back now and then!

Tom Rath talked about vital friends and the role that friendships play in engaging people at work. Work is a lot more fun when enjoy the people we work with. And the same can be said for developing one's talents -- I'm much more likely to do so when there are people who care about me and are committed to helping me grow.

So at a time like this, I'm deeply grateful for the people with whom I work -- Eileen, Karen, Anita, Paul, Shawna, Susette -- they hone my strengths in a major way! But I also feel an even greater responsibility for the students whose lives intersect with mine. Hopefully by spotting some of their talents and helping them see how they can reach excellence by developing those talents, they will go on to do great things. I think that's why I've chosen to teach--to touch people's lives and make a difference in the world through my students.

No comments: